Call your Senators and insist that they act to prevent gun violence.
Ensure that the voices of faithful Americans ring throughout the halls of Congress.
We know that among millions of you in the faith community there are differences in viewpoint and we ask you to convey whichever policies with which you are comfortable.
Universal Background Checks are essential to gun violence prevention and viable as a bipartisan solution.
- 2.1 million illegal gun buyers have been stopped by background checks - they work!
- Under current federal law only licensed firearms dealers are required to conduct background checks - everyone else is free to sell guns to practically anyone without any type of check.
- Universal background checks legislation cannot and will not lead to the creation of a national gun registry.
Other major components of gun violence prevention legislation that Congress is considering include:
- Ban semi-automatic assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.
- Make gun trafficking a federal crime.
- Enhance school and campus safety.
- Improve access to mental health services.
When you call your Senators, let them know that you are calling as a member of the faith community, and emphasize those of the policies that you support.
Tell them that gun violence prevention laws work.
"The time is always right to do what is right"
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Other interfaith statements & efforts:
On Apr 9
Get a reminder!
Tested by our grief,
Inspired in our pursuit of justice,
Strengthened by our love for country and for God's children
Resolute in our faith.
We call on our lawmakers and say:
Enough pain. Enough despair. Enough injustice. We can and must transform our grief into action.